Thursday, February 4, 2010

Epiphany

I know this is really a strange thought to ponder....but I've often wondered why I'm not an alcoholic. Not that I'm belittling the disease, or making light of it, but I often ponder how I've avoided sliding down that slippery slope. God knows I have enough baggage and issues that date back to the very instant I drew breath into this world. And I know there are days when all I think about is that I really could use a stiff drink when I get home.

But that's where it stops, somewhere between that drive home and walking through the door, my brain does some rerouting of thoughts and I don't pour that first drink. Is it the responsibilities I have that hit me in the face the minute I open the door to my house? Or some sudden epiphany that saves me from being my own worst enemy? Whatever the inspiration is I secretly surrender to it's calm voice that tells me ....this too shall pass my child, this too shall pass.

2 comments:

  1. I give you a lot of credit especially with all the shit you seem to deal with. I wish I could say the same for myself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should give yourself some credit too Doug, we all have issues, and vices we use to deal with them. I think God just pities me in this situation thinking hell that is the last thing she needs is a drink! Well I am sure he doesn't say hell but you get my point

    ReplyDelete